The holiday season can be hectic with hosting parties and the family get together. No one wants to spend all of their time cleaning but, getting your home shiny and bright is usually on the top of the list. We want to make life easier by providing a few tips on how to make your floors sparkle!
No matter what type of flooring you have, there are some easy ways to keep them looking great. You will want to use products designed for the type of floor you have: Hardwood, Laminate, Engineered Wood, or Luxury Vinyl. It is important point to follow the manufacture's cleaning and maintenance instructions. Most flooring manufactures will have recommended cleaners, shines and coatings. Most warranties do not protect you if you use products that are not designed for your brand of flooring.
The best way to keep you floors looking great is prevention! The first rule is to keep as much dirt, grit and small rocks off of your flooring. Dirt and grit act like sandpaper, scratching and dulling your floors. The good news is that hard surface floors are easy to clean. All hard surface flooring has one thing in common, dust mopping with a dry microfiber mop or vacuuming with the hard surface adapter or with the beater bar/brush roll turned off (the bar and bristles can damage your floor) will keep your floors looking great.
- Use a doormat inside and outside exterior entrances
- Mats collect and trap corrosive substances that can be tracked in, such as dirt, sand, oil, grit, asphalt, and even driveway sealer.
- Use mats without latex or rubber backings to avoid possible discoloration
- Consider a No Shoe Rule
- Routine Dry or Dust Mopping with a Microfiber cloth/ mop (especially high traffic areas) will keep your floors looking great!
- If you prefer to sweep, use a soft bristle broom
- If you prefer to vacuum, use the hard floor attachment, soft brush or turn off the brush roll to avoid damage to the floor
- Clean up any spill immediately to reduce the chance of staining or damage from standing liquid. 100% waterproof engineered luxury vinyl can take the larger spills and standing water but, immediate clean up is always best.
- Cleaning Products Are Trickier Than You Think
- Find out what products your manufacturer recommends (they may have their own products) you can compare once you know what they recommend
- You may need to search out the appropriate cleaner for the exact type of flooring you have
Many floor care products claim to work on multi-surfaces, wood and other hard surfaces etc...Don't be fooled by these claims. You can end up with sticky, dull streaky floors after you "clean" with these products. You don't need to buy expensive hardwood or hard surface floor cleaners for the rest of your life. However, it may take a little experimenting to find a cleaner that leaves your floor looking the way you want it to look. To reduce the chance of damage to the protective coating, streaking and dullness, avoid cleaners that are too acidic or too alkaline:
- Vinegar alone is too acidic (especially for laminate)
- Ammonia based cleaners
- Oil based soaps and cleaners
I prefer the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid) by using water which is neutral in pH and will not harm your floor if used in small quantities. Using a spray bottle of or a damp mop (Not Wet) can easily clean your floor without damaging it. Hot water can work wonders for tougher spots. Water is also an excellent choice if your are conscious of indoor air quality and reducing exposure to chemicals for your family and pets. If you want the disinfectant along with the clean, you can use vinegar mixed with water in a spray bottle or bucket in the following concentrations:
- 3 teaspoons white vinegar
- 16 ounces of warm water
- 1-2 drops essential oils ( lemon or other great smell)
Bucket for Damp Mop
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 gallon of warm water
- 2-3 drops essential oils (lemon or other great smell )
Make It Sparkle!
How do I make my floor Shine? The secret to get that Shine and Sparkle back on your floors is to buff them after mopping. Just grab your dust mop or flat mop head and wrap a clean micro fiber cloth or clean cloth diaper around it and buff the dullness and streaks away. Or maybe you can talk your husband or kids into buffing for you... if you don't adopt the no shoe policy, you can institute the mandatory dust mop shoe policy! Multi-purpose Microfiber Dust Mop Shoes No Hoooman family? No problem, get Doggie Floor Dusting Shoes Here